Friday 13 March 2015

Review of First Comes Love by Katie Kacvinsky

4.5 Stars For This Lovely Story of Firsts...

'First' of all let me congratulate Katie Kacvinsky on writing such a charming, heartfelt and adorable book!

The writing was good and easy to read, there were a few typos but it doesn't spoil the story. 
It's one of those books that, after chapter 3 you just can't put it down... as I work full time, it took me two evenings to get through so it's not a lengthy read but it's not a novella either.

I loved the main characters: 
*Gray... oh lordy, Blue Eyed Gray... I felt his angst and totally understood the way he withdrew himself, the way he didn't want to let anyone in... and I loved the way he slowly let Dylan into his life and she helped him start to live again.
*Dylan... I really liked Dylan, she was a little 'too' quirky for me at times, but I loved the way she was laid back yet restless at the same time, she broke down Gray's walls and helped him come back out of his shell... I liked her randomness and the ideas she had about living life.
These two were such an adorable couple... I was rooting for them from the start.

This is also a story of a family going through tragedy, it was tackled with sensitivity, and after reading the Authors Note about her inspiration for writing First Comes Love (you should read that too) you can see that it's been written from experiences as well as imagination... and it totally works!

The content is suitable for Teens, there are suggestions of sex but no graphic descriptions of any kind... there is no bad language, the boys are cute, the girls are superficial, but Dylan is cool!... I mean she plays Miss Packman and listens to Counting Crows, you can't get much cooler than that haha!... and on that note... there's a playlist too... I love when an author adds a playlist! :)

Anyway... I recommend this to any Young Adult readers out there and can't wait to read Katie's book Awaken... if it's anything like this one it should be awesome!



 
The Blurb...
 
Like his name, Gray is dark and stormy. Dylan, a girl always searching for what's next, seemingly unable to settle down, is the exact opposite: full of light and life. On the outside, they seem like an unlikely couple. But looks can be deceiving and besides, opposites attract.
What starts as friendship, turns into admiration, respect and caring, until finally these two lone souls find they are truly in love with each other. But staying in love is not as easy as falling in love. If Dylan and Gray want their love to last, they're going to have to work at it. And learn that sometimes love means having to say you're sorry.
 
Click  HERE  to view this book on Amazon.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment