Sunday 8 March 2015

3.5 Star Review for Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick

Good but no Hush Hush...
 
I was really looking forward to reading something else by Becca Fitzpatrick because I loved her Hush Hush series...
The writing was good and descriptive... I did find a few typos which I don't usually pick up on, but I have to say a couple of times it made me pause.
I liked the story, it was gritty with lots of suspense while also having that chicklit element in it... I guessed correctly on 'who done it' pretty early on, but there were some twists and turns that changed my mind a few times, I wouldn't say it was predictable as such, but it wasn't too hard to know where it was going... there were too many clues and the dynamic between the characters gives too much away for you to be able to say 'no way... I would not have guessed that'...
 
The story is written from Britt's POV... I would have loved an insight chapter from Jude's side of things...
I know some reviewers have said that they didn't like Britt but, she grew on me... I think because she depended on her dad, brother and boyfriend put people off her, but she was sensitive, kind at heart and not entirely a brat... throughout the whole of the book she tried her hardest to be strong and survive the ordeal she went through, contributing to their survival and sensibly second guessing her feelings.
And Jude... I had such a bookcrush on him... I shall be looking for my own seasnail next time I'm at the beach ha!

I have no idea why Britt was best friends with Korby, she was such an awful character... I even preferred Calvin, but again I don't know what the obsession was with him either... according to Britt's thoughts and memories there were more bad instances than good throughout their short relationship... I think what it comes down to is that she'd known these two characters for most of her life and, ironically, she feels for them because of the way their parents treat them and cares about them enough to want to make them happy.
 
The romance that unfurls between the two main characters was slow and sweet, obviously because of the circumstances they get to know each other, their relationship is a bit rocky throughout, but I was pretty happy with the ending... that was probably my favourite part... but then again I'm a sucker for a HEA.
 
So, although enjoyable this just didn't hit that mark of awesomeness I was expecting, it didn't have that spark to make it into my favourites list... I think I'd like to read more of Becca's Paranormal Romance stuff... this was entertaining, it just wasn't her best :)
 

 
 
The Blurb...
 
Brit Pheiffer has trained to backpack the Teton Range, but she isn't prepared when her ex-boyfriend, who still haunts her every thought, wants to join her. Before Britt can explore her feelings for Calvin, an unexpected blizzard forces her to seek shelter in a remote cabin, accepting the hospitality of its two very handsome occupants;but these men are fugitives, and they take her hostage.

Britt is forced to guide the men off the mountain, and knows she must stay alive long enough for Calvin to find her. The task is made even more complicated when Britt finds chilling evidence of a series of murders that have taken place there and in uncovering this, she may become the killer's next target.

But nothing is as it seems, and everyone is keeping secrets, including Mason, one of her kidnappers. His kindness is confusing Britt. Is he an enemy? Or an ally?
 
Click HERE to view this book on
Amazon.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment