Sunday 15 March 2015

Review of 'At Any Price' by Brenna Aubrey

Loved this 4 Star read...
 
I picked up this book because at the time it was on sale, and sometimes you just fancy reading a nice, light and predictable romance where you don't get too emotionally involved... surprisingly this wasn't that book...
This is not your typical 'girl sells virginity to millionaire, meets guy and they fall head over heels with each other, so it's not really classed as prostitution is it - conscience clear - happily ever after' story... it's emotional, witty and engaging.
The writing was very good, I noticed no typos or grammar faux pas. It was easy to read and had me up way past my bedtime wanting more...
There are sexual situations throughout the book but it's all done pretty tastefully... I'd say it was suitable for a Young Adult audience, although I probably wouldn't let my daughter read it until she was at least 18 ha!
 
I'm not really into gaming but I have a lot of friends who are, plus I am a self professed nerd, so I liked the whole geek/gaming theme from the start.
I worked out who Adam was straight away, there were no surprises when he revealed his secret later on... and he's also a hot geek, definite book boyfriend material for nerdgirls like moi!
It tells from Mia's 1st person POV but you get a lot of emotion from Adam too... both of the lead characters are pretty messed up because of their past, and Mia is going through a pretty tough time presently with her mother... hence the auction.
 
I have to say that I did find it quite frustrating at times... Mia changed her mind about a lot of the decisions she had made, and there were a few times where both her and Adam kept secrets that could have been told, whether it be to each other or other characters in the story... and this is why I gave 4 stars instead of 5.
 
This wasn't your typical Contemporary Romance story and it was great to read a new version of something that has been done before, it's a three book series but it ends on a good note and there's no cliffy at the end... I already have the next one to go and I'm hoping that it will continue to be as good as last one...
 
This is still free on Amazon.co.uk at the moment so don't take me at my word... get yourself reading! Then come and tell me what you think ;)
 
 
 
The Blurb
 
When Mia Strong, popular gaming blogger, auctions off her virginity online, she knows she'll make waves. But what she will not be making is a love connection. Her rules are set in stone: One night. No further contact.

It's a desperate step, but it's the only way she can go to medical school and pay her mother's mounting hospital bills.

Adam Drake, the enigmatic auction winner, is a software prodigy who made his first millions at seventeen. Now, in his mid-twenties, he's sexy, driven and--as CEO of his own gaming company--he's used to making the rules. Before Mia knows what's happening, he's found the loophole in the rules of her auction. Every stipulation she's made to protect her heart gets tossed by the wayside.

She can't tell if he's playing her...or if he's playing for keeps.

 
 Click HERE to see this book at Amazon.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment