Tuesday 31 March 2015

Four Star Review for Archers Voice by Mia Sheridan

4 Strong and Silent Stars for Archer...

I absolutely loved this story, the concept was beautiful and original... I actually didn't read the synopsis before I began, I rarely do to be honest, if it has a good amount of high rating stars and it's in a genre I'm in the mood for then I usually just go for it, and this time I wasn't disappointed...

The two lead characters were very likeable:
Bree is well rounded, intelligent and only occasionally a little frustrating, after suffering the loss of her father in a terrible event that she has witnessed, she takes a road trip to get out of town for a while and ends up in the town of Pelion... and bumps into Archer...
Archer... you can't help but fall in love with him, at the age of 7 he's involved in a tragic incident that leaves him both without a voice and losing his parents... he's adorable and you just want to look after him...
The secondary characters add to the story, although we don't get very in depth with their personalities.
Travis... it's easy to say you love to hate the villain (although his mother is probably the real evil one there) but I think he has potential to redeem himself, I'd love to read a story where he gets a HEA of his own.

I would have given this the full five stars but, my only qualm is the language Mia uses in the book... it's not written badly so don't get me wrong, no typos I noticed. It rarely bothers me, but for such an original storyline I would have loved her writing to be original too... the descriptions throughout the book I have found in far too many adult romance novels of late... although descriptive enough, I think there must be a generic phrase book for the YA/NA writer to follow... the way their 'eyes tangled.' Bree was 'pooling between her thighs' quite a lot, they feel things in their 'core' and Archer smelled 'male' and 'musky'

Overlooking that, it never really put me off finishing the book, in fact I couldn't put it down, it was just a niggling thing in the back of my mind while I was reading... it was such a lovely, emotional, tragic and romantic read, it brought tears to my eyes a few times in the sad and touching parts and I found myself smiling at the funny and sweet parts too...

It's written from mainly Bree's POV, with chapters throughout and a lovely epilogue from Archer.
The sex in this book is quite detailed in parts but it's not overwhelmingly packed full of these scenes.
On the whole I'd say the storyline really deserves 5 stars... but the writing (for me) just brought it down that little bit... I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves the New Adult genre with an audience of 17+ years... Happy reading ;)
 
 
 
 

 The Blurb

 
When Bree Prescott arrives in the sleepy, lakeside town of Pelion, Maine, she hopes against hope that this is the place where she will finally find the peace she so desperately seeks. On her first day there, her life collides with Archer Hale, an isolated man who holds a secret agony of his own. A man no one else sees.

Archer's Voice is the story of a woman chained to the memory of one horrifying night and the man whose love is the key to her freedom. It is the story of a silent man who lives with an excruciating wound and the woman who helps him find his voice. It is the story of suffering, fate, and the transformative power of love.
 
 
Click HERE to view or 1-click on Amazon
 
Click HERE to view on Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment