Monday 25 May 2015

4 Star Review of The Distance Btween Us by Kasie West

I absolutely adored this story... I know, I know! I only gave it 4 stars... I will explain in a moment!...

So, as far as the lead characters went... Caymen was great, I have some really good friends who have a sarcastic streak (and I've been known to throw a remark around myself from time to time) and her dry sense of humour was something I got and loved straight away...
I wasn't too sure about Xander at first, obviously I suspected that he was going to be the love interest so, although he acted a bit jerky I gave him a chance and he turns out to be cool and pretty down to earth, if not just a bit spoiled at times...
I loved all of Caymens friends... Skye more-so than the others but, Henry and Mason too... I did notice, however, that Xander seemed to be lacking in the 'real' friends department and that Richard turns out to be a complete douche... I really wanted to witness Xander hitting that guy in the face but alas it was not to be... his family were awesome though, they come off as being really nice people!

The story was one of those that develops rather than getting all up in your face... her mum's story was a sad one but I must admit she annoyed me quite a lot, keeping secrets and trying to push Caymen into going out with Mason etc... and the whole 'rich guys are bad' thing, I mean I got it, I just didn't agree with it!
I liked how they didn't necessarily fall head over heels in love at first sight, yes they found each other attractive and interesting, but their relationship was gradual... I loved what they did together, Xander walking her to school was so cute, how they spent their time on their 'career days' and the way that they had fun rather than just sucked face all of the time was quite refreshing... considering now it seems to be the norm in these contemporary romance books that they have to spend every second together with their tongues in each others mouths or trying to resist tearing each others clothes off lol!

Of course it all comes to a head in a dramatic climax as they do... and this is where it falters for me...  there could have been so much more detail in the last scenes and unfortunately it seemed to be a bit skimmed over, not necessarily rushed but more like just not filled in if that makes sense... there were so many conversations and scenes that should have been elaborated that I felt a bit cheated!
And I know I say this a lot in my reviews but, if there's not going to be a 'next book' I think these college stories need to have an epilogue... fact!

Anyhoo... I really did enjoy this book (apart from those issues at the end) it was very well written from Caymens POV... It's a Clean, Young Adult, Contemporary Romance with no sexual scenes or bad language... it's cute, flirty, dramatic and emotional with a HEA and I'm looking forward to reading more from this author ;)

To find this on Amazon you can click HERE and to find it on Goodreads click HERE


 
The Blurb
 
Money can't buy a good first impression.
Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers learned early that the rich are not to be trusted. And after years of studying them from behind the cash register of her mom's porcelain-doll shop, she has seen nothing to prove otherwise. Enter Xander Spence—he's tall, handsome, and oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and the fact that he seems to be one of the first people who actually gets her, she's smart enough to know his interest won't last. Because if there's one thing she's learned from her mother's warnings, it's that the rich have a short attention span. But just when Xander's loyalty and attentiveness are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn't a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she'd ever realized. With so many obstacles standing in their way, can she close the distance between them?

No comments:

Post a Comment