Monday 6 April 2015

Bookish Thoughts, Reviews and Bargains of a Bibliophile...

Another week has flown by... it's our Easter Holidays (or Spring Break) here in England and as it's my Birthday next weekend I have taken some annual leave, I'm visiting some family in The Lake District for a few days, so I'm chilling out at home until Tuesday and then I'll be off on a little road trip with my partner in crime... I'll be taking my library with me via kindle though so no need to panic haha...




Last week was so busy at work it turned me into a total stress head, but I managed to escape inside a few book covers any chance I got, so here's my reading list for the week:

  • Archer's Voice by Mia Sheridan: £2.49 on Amazon at the moment ~ I awarded this 4 Stars and it has an average of 4.9 stars out of 300 reviews... it was a Sweet and Emotional, New Adult Standalone... you can read my review via the main link above to Amazon, here on my Blog or on Goodreads...

  • Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky: £1.89 on Amazon ~ I awarded this 4.5 Stars and it has an average of 4.1 out of 14 reviews... it's the first book in a Trilogy - genre's include #Dystopian #Fantasy #YoungAdult... read my review via the above Amazon link, here on my Blog or on Goodreads...

  • Middle Ground by Katie Kacvinsky: £4.31 on Amazon ~ the second book in the awaken Trilogy - Currently 77% through the book and I'm loving it... my review will be posted possibly mid-week here on the blog so please pop back and check it out. I also have Still Point to read (the third and final book) so watch out for that too...

Some Food For Thought...


I've been reading New Adult books for the last few years, I couldn't really tell you how many have been through my fingers... it's one of my favourite genres and some of these books I have enjoyed immensely!
But... up until recently it never really dawned on me how many of the sentences, phrases and descriptions used in these books are repeated and rearranged on the page so it's not in danger of plagiarism... it's not that I've never noticed before as I'm actually quite an observant person, I tend to just acknowledge it, roll my eyes and carry on anyway.

Now as an example, I recently read Archer's Voice (see above) and the story was so original and beautiful I absolutely loved it, it would have gotten 5 stars but, I marked it down because of the lack of original writing... maybe that was unfair, I did kind of feel like a b*tch to be honest as the storyline was lovely, but it's as if there's some kind of generic phrase book that these writers use for describing feelings, emotions and reactions, and especial sexual situations...
You kind of expect it in these 'Billionaire Romance' books that there are hundreds of, I use these ones as 'reset books' where, when you've read an epic story and you're still reeling from it, you just want a nice little short story with a HEA for cure of your Book Hangover.

So here's my gripe... I think writers and authors who want to make it big, who take the time to come up with an awesome storyline, should also endeavour to use original writing. We, as readers, don't want to pay for the same words regurgitated on the page, with a different name screamed out in ecstasy as the shocks from their orgasm roll through the protagonists body, their partner following two short thrusts after, their hard body collapsing on top of them breathless and sweaty, breathing in their ear some kind of endearment or proclamation of their commitment they didn't intend to say, rolling to the side and falling asleep in their arms feeling satiated and safe...

I feel like that was a bit of a rant lol... I don't mean to offend anyone, I hope some of you guys agree with me, and if you don't then that's fine too... either way I'd love to hear your comments below... you can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Goodreads, Pinterest and Instagram...


Moving on... Here are my Book Bargain Downloads of the week...


So these are my sale-bin finds this week... links are to Amazon for all of you 1-Click addicts... ASR = average star rating, tags are some of the genres they're listed under on Amazon and Goodreads:
  • What Once Was Perfect by Zoe York: Free to download atm with an ASR of 4.2 and 22 reviews... Tags include ~ #ContemporaryRomance #WomensFiction #RomanticComedy
  • Deep Blue by Jules Barnard: Free to download atm with an ASR of 4.4 and 25 reviews... Tags include ~ #NewAdult #RomanticComedy #ContemporaryRomance
  • Fighting Temptation by KC Lynn: Free to download atm with an ASR of 4.6 and 56 reviews... Tags include ~ #RomanticSuspense #ContemporaryRomance #AdultFiction #Erotica
  • Escaping Me by Elizabeth Lee: Free to download atm with an ASR of 4.2 and 9 reviews... Tags include ~ #NewAdult #ContemporaryRomance
  • Crimson Midnight by Amos Cassidy: Free to download atm with an ASR of 4.8 and 6 reviews... Tags include ~ #UrbanFantasy #DarkFantasy and #ScienceFiction
  • Second Chance by Katie Kacvinsky: £2.21 atm with an ASR of 4 and 2 reviews (2nd book in a series I'm reading atm)... Tags include ~ #YoungAdult #ContemporaryRomance
As I've said before... I probably wont read these straight away... but I can't resist a good bargain ;)
 
 
So that's my news for this week folks... I'll be posting more reviews soon and an update of my reads and bargains next weekend (possibly Sunday as I'm celebrating birthdays haha)... enjoy the holidays if you're on break and I hope you all read some awesome books... Until next time...
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment